All Saints Church

The Village Church of All Saints, South Milton, has a long history with an uncertain beginning, but a definite milestone in 1269 when Bishop Bromscombe of Exeter granted a licence for a chapel.

The unusual font and the south door are earlier still, and the walls adjacent to the south door could be part of a Norman chapel.

At the end of the 13th century the chancel was extended eastwards and the north-south transept was added.  The 14th century saw the building of the tower and the north aisle, which incorporated the transept and resulted in the church we see today.

The church has several interesting features but the most unusual is the font, which has carvings that appear pagan and have Celtic influences.  Are the faces Pan and Midas? Adam and Eve? Sun and Moon gods? Take a look and decide for yourself.  There is a very good booklet with many more details of the church interior: call Jan Turner for a copy.

The parish is presently part of the United Benefice of Thurlestone and South Milton, with Churchstow and West Alvington. Services are held every Sunday.

The graveyard around the church is closed. Burials in the village now take place in the cemetery opposite the church, which is administered by the parish council.

Churchwardens: Jan Turner 01548 560354; Bob Breese 01548 560229.